- Your physician’s office will schedule your surgery at Kirby Surgical Center.
- Our pre-operative nurse will speak with you prior to your surgery to complete a pre-operative assessment, and review pre-operative instructions, and your patient rights and responsibilities. Please take this opportunity to ask any questions you have concerning our facility or your surgery.
- If you need to take online loans Oregon out to cover healthcare bills, you should do it beforehand. It will be comfortable not to think about any financial problems before the surgery.
- If pre-operative diagnostic studies are needed, they will be ordered by your physician at the facility of his/her choice prior to the date of your procedure. If you take ANY MEDICATIONS for your heart or blood pressure, you may take them with a sip of water in the morning prior to coming to the center.
- DO NOT take any diabetic medications. If you take blood thinners; please consult your doctor to determine if you should stop taking them. Be sure to inform your doctor of any over-the-counter drugs such as Aspirin, Bufferin, Nuprin, Advil, Motrin, or any herbal supplements.
The Night Before Your Procedure:
- For your safety, please DO NOT eat or drink anything after 12:00 midnight. This includes water, coffee, juice, hard candy, and gum.
On The Day of Your Surgery:
- You will be required to provide a list of ALL CURRENT MEDICATIONS AND DOSAGES including prescription drugs, over-the-counter medications, and any herbal supplements. You will also be asked to list ALL KNOWN ALLERGIES you may have.
- Please wear loose, comfortable clothing, and low-heeled shoes. During your procedure, you will wear a patient gown provided by the surgical center.
- YOU MUST arrange for a RESPONSIBLE ADULT to DRIVE YOU HOME after your procedure, and stay with you for the first 24 HOURS following surgery. It is normal for the effects of anesthesia and sedation to make you feel drowsy for that period of time.
- We ask that you please bathe or shower in the morning of your procedure to minimize the risk of infection. If you wash your hair, make sure it is dry, and do not use hair spray. DO NOT wear any makeup or lipstick, and remove any fingernail polish.
- You may brush your teeth or use mouthwash in the morning of your procedure; however, remember not to swallow any water.
- Please leave jewelry and other valuable items at home for safekeeping. You will be asked to remove your contact lenses, dentures, or other prostheses when you dress for your procedure. Bring your contact lens case with you.
- YOU MUST NOT CONSUME ANY ALCOHOL 24 hours prior to your surgery. Refrain from smoking for at least 12 Hours before your surgery. These substances can cause you to have adverse reactions to anesthesia and medications.
- Notify the surgery center if you have any health changes, such as a cold or elevated temperature.
- Should you have questions or concerns, feel free to call your physician’s office or Kirby Surgical Center.
- After leaving the operating room, you will be moved to the recovery area to be cared for by nurses until you are awake and comfortable. At that time, you will be moved to a step down recovery area. Prior to discharge, a nurse will review post-op instructions with you and your responsible adult. You will receive a copy of this information along with any prescription(s) ordered by your doctor. When stable, you will be discharged with a responsible adult to take you home.
What should you do when you get home?
- To hasten your recovery we recommend that you rest comfortably as soon as you get home. Patients typically feel sleepy most of the day and should avoid strenuous activities, driving, or the use of heavy equipment. You should also avoid taking any medication not approved by your physician. You may begin your regular diet, and resume normal activity when you and your doctor determine that it is appropriate.
- A nurse from Kirby Surgical Center will call you at home to check on your recovery. If we are unable to reach you within 72 hours, we will mail a post-operative follow up letter.
Kirby Surgical Center Business Office will contact you to discuss financial arrangements prior to your procedure. In most cases, we should be able to estimate the cost of your procedure.
Our fee is for the facility and surgical supplies only. The surgeon, anesthesiologist, pathologist, and radiologist (if applicable) will bill you separately for their services.
As a courtesy to you, we will bill your insurance company for their portion of the cost of your care.
- Patients will be required to pay their estimated portion due based on insurance coverage, deductible and /or co-pay; on or before the day of procedure. Cash, Check, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express are accepted.
- Self pay patients will be required to pay on or before the day of procedure.
The Center will work with you to meet your payment obligation. In the event our standard terms cannot be met, these arrangements must be made and approved by the Administrator or Business Office Manager prior to the date of the procedure.
Please bring your state picture ID or driver’s license and your health insurance card(s).
We respectfully request that you limit the number of individuals that accompany you to the Surgery Center to no more than two people. By doing so, you will create a more comfortable atmosphere for all patients and family members in the waiting area at the center.
Due to parking limitations, it is also helpful to limit the number of vehicles to one per patient’s family.
Kirby Surgical Center offers free WiFi to patients and their family members. Instructions are available at the center.